Thursday, October 14, 2010

Movies that scared the heck out of me (when I was younger off course)


In the spirit of everything goblish and ghoulish, I thought that I would share 5 movies that scared the heck out of me when I was younger. I know most of you will identify with the movies that are listed here and if not then this list will demonstrate how much of a fraddie cat I really am. Whatever the outcome, I hope that these movies conjure up some memories about the first time you saw them and the effect that they had on you.

The movies listed here are movies that I have actually watched; as in spent 1hr and 45 mins (if not more) hiding my face or pretending to watch with friends or family. Admittedly and sadly I went through a sci-fi phase. I really loved lounging on a Saturday morning, watching those horror marathons on sci-fi  until midnight and afterward not being able to sleep. To preserve my ego, I’ll omit my age at this junction in my life. It was moronic or perhaps catatonic but there are five movies that will forever remain as movies that scared the heck out of me.

1. Sleepwalkers (1992) – I remember this one because it starred Brian Krause (the guy who acted as Leo Wyatt on Charmed). Peter’s character seduces this young woman (who just happens to be a virgin) but little does she know that he’s a demon and his mother is trying to take away her soul so that she could take a human form. The one memory that stuck with me after i saw this movie was the cats; lots and lots of cats that in the end become the only thing that could kill these demons. It actually got me thinking that perhaps, just maybe cats aren’t just furry lovable creatures after all. Till this day I always keep my distance from these mysterious felines.

2. The Omen/Damien (1976) – a.k.a the spawn of the devil. I could never get over the image of seeing the 666 branded in the scalp of this unassumingly innocent little boy. And that Rottweiler that did all the child's evil bidding! Tisk Tisk.

3. Pet Cemetery (1989) – What more can i say about this movie. Stephen King definitely knows how to stir one's imagination. After watching this one, i remember being so frightened that i slept with the lights on for a week.

4. Child’s Play 1, 2 and 3 – This was another one that got under my skin. Am talking couldn't sleep for weeks. The funny thing is years after this episode and when i could finally muster the courage to sit and watch the movie on my own, i found it to be kind of foolish. How is it that a serial killer could progress and become something so demonic. His entire image felt like it was based on this demonic doll that went around killing people. Perhaps it was my interpretation of the film. Later on, what added to the absurdity was the Bride of Chucky. Talk about laughable. I think its safe to say that after The Bride of Chucky all of my fears dissipated.

5. IT (1990) – So by now you would have realized that i have an obsession with Stephen King. Who knew clowns could be so evil. I can't even remember where i was when i saw this one but a lasting memory for me with IT is seeing the clown in the drain covers on the side walks!I think that image would give everyone the creeps.

So now that i have shared soo much with you, i wanna hear what are your thoughts on these movies. Do you remember any of these?



4 comments:

Monique said...

Those same movies would scare the heck out of me - today!

Ali said...

omg, IT scared me to death... I hated taking showers for fear that blood would start to come out of the shower head, lol

Horror Movie Trailers said...

I'm a horror movie freak, so I've seen and enjoyed all of them. You seem to like Stephen King movies. Have you seen Salem's Lot and The Shining? Those are really creepy.

If you like Stephen King, you should check out Vanessa Morgan too. Her books will scare you out of your mind and they are all being turned into movies now.

Rose City Reader said...

I don't like scary movies, so I never watched any of those you listed. But I somehow agreed to watch Silence of the Lambs in the theater. I was an adult, but it terrified me. I didn't sleep for four nights.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2011 Bookventures Book Blog. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.