Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Millionaire’s Son – A Review




Disclaimer: A copy of this book was provided by Bostick Communications for review. The views expressed here are honest and are in no way influenced by the author or the publishers
.

Synopsis


Born a star to his mother, a young man's life becomes entangled in a web of misfortune and sacrifices he is not yet ready to make. While being raised in the violent slums of Washington D.C., a young man by the name of Whiteboy tells his story about his life and the struggles he endures along his tiresome journey. Amongst friends hides many close enemies, as the hour glass drains so does much of his steam trying to cope with tragedy and triumph in days time. Whiteboy the son of a successful businessman who has earned millions throughout his life without seeing one dime from his father or spending much time with him, the male role models become apparent when the streets come calling to Whiteboy! Living in a shack with his single mother struggling he tries to make life easier by being the man of the house even though he has a police record, his hustle and grind never stops! "The Millionaire's Son" is a touching account of a young man's journey inside of the hood, despite being the son of a millionaire. A life story worth reading! When hood banging meets the political side of the streets? The Millionaire's Son Screams!



My Review

The Millionarie’s Son falls within the Urban Life genre, a genre that I have not been well acquainted with until I read this book. It was an ok experience but mostly I was left a bit angry and disappointed for a number of reasons. Before we get into the heavy stuff though it is worth mentioning that the author Kirk D. Yancy has written other (somewhat successful) novels such as Passion of a Grieving Poet and When the Pathway Cries in Darkness. He is also a gifted poet and there is no doubt that he has a way with words in this book.  The Millionaire’s Son is the author's first fiction novel.

Now that I have gotten all of the official things out of the way, I just want to reiterate that the contents of this book or rather the subject matter was very upsetting to me. Firstly, and I am not being sensitive here, but the Millionaire’s Son portrays African Americans who live in the rough parts of the US as being really ignorant and sexiest. Yes some of them can be that way but it was overly exaggerated in this book. One case in point is the over the top obscenities that were present throughout the story. Literally, in every sentence there were at least three or four bad words. What makes it worse is that most of it was not even necessary. Something else that really bugged me was the way the author treated with females in the story. The names (that I will not publish here since I have much respect for my readers) were really degrading, even to read it. Now I really want to emphasize that I am not being sensitive here. I know that this is a reality in many depressed communities however I really felt like the author could have been tactful about all of it. It probably would have made my reading experience much better than it was.

The book is quite small (actually it came in at 84 pages) so it’s not a lot to read and you may have some difficulty following the story since at times, the author tends to stray from the plot. Yet I’m willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt and say that he could use a little more practice in the Fiction arena. I probably will not read this again but I do intent to check out the previous work by the author to see what his writing style is really like.
CymLowell

1 comment:

jewelknits said...

I almost requested this for review some time back, then looked at my staggering pile and said, "NOT a good idea!" I'm glad I didn't get it. I have a problem with any sort of stereotyping and living in an urban area myself, I am aware that there are certain families that DO curse ALL OF THE time, but most are just plain hard-working people with a few bad apples here and there. Thank you for your review!

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2011 Bookventures Book Blog. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.