Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Price of Revenge - A Review




Disclaimer: A copy of this book was provided by Phenix and Phenix Publishers for review. The views expressed here are honest and are in no way influenced by the author or the publishers. 

Synopsis
David Fox has a life anyone would envy-a flourishing career as a lawyer, a condo in Denver, and a beautiful girlfriend, Ellen-until he begins investigating a lawsuit against the Denver City Ballet. It seems like a commonplace allegation of misspent funds at first, but soon David finds himself caught in a web of blackmail, betrayal, and dark secrets. To escape, he'll have to answer some uncomfortable questions: Who was responsible for the embezzlement, and how far will they go to cover it up? What precisely is Ellen discussing in those sessions with her psychiatrist? And is telling the truth worth losing everything? The Price of Revenge follows David across boundaries both professional and personal as he tries to find his way out of the maze of intrigue into which he has stumbled.

My Review

Those of us who swear by legal thrillers/suspense novels may become enticed by The Price of Revenge. David Vaughn has joined a slew of other authors who have based their novels on courtroom intrigue. While the topic offers for a lot of leg room for authors to create a great story, not everyone has been able to pull it off successfully. In my mind, whether David Vaughn has been able to pull it off is still up for debate.

The good news that is The Price of Revenge is a good, original concept. It depicts the life of a well-to-do lawyer who gets caught up in a cycle of revenge that ultimately ruins his life. The excitement gets going pretty early on in the book as we get a flash back of David being black mailed and being faced with a difficult decision. Naturally this sets the tone for the entire book. The story is told in third person so you get an insight into all of the characters and their motives in the story. The Price of Revenge is not riveting but it’s not obvious either. With each trial that the protagonist faces, the reader at times enters into them blindly.

Having said all of that, the bad news is that the story was really poorly executed. I didn’t think that revenge played a critical role in this story as it help to send David’s life into chaos. I thought that the foolish actions of all of the characters are what ultimately led to their down fall. Additionally their actions were not sufficiently explained and it was a bit frustrating trying to understand their motives. I thought that telling the story in third person would have allowed the author to help build the stories of these characters but that was not the case.  They all seemed one dimensional, irrational and uninteresting.

The story did flow pretty quickly especially because the chapters were shorter and there was some element of suspense that kept you interested in the story. However the author couldn’t keep the reader’s attention for too long since the writing was rigid and lacked depth. I really was expecting more from this story but sadly it just left me in two minds.

From all the reviews that I have read about this book, everyone seems to disagree with my stance. However I’ll let you guys be the judge. I will probably not give this book a second read but I am always open to passing it along to my friends.

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I do like this type of story, but I don't think this particular one is for me. Thanks for your review.

Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Not sure if I would like this one or not? thanks 4 sharing your thoughts.

CMash said...

Have this one in my review pile but after reading your review, not sure if I am looking forward to it. We can exchange notes once I read it.
CMash

misha1989 said...

Thanks for the review!

I just started my own blog. Please stop by if you can. Thank you

Misha
http://books-love-affair.blogspot.com/

DCMetroreader said...

I think I will probably pass on his one. Thanks for your candid review!

Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I'm stopping on by from The Crowded Leaf site! Great review! I just recently experienced the same thing in which I thought a book had a great concept, but overall, just was a bad construction of really contemporary events during a gothic era. I hate that when that happens!! I might want to pick up The Price of Revenge just to see, but I have a funny feeling that I might feel the same way that you do...! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2011 Bookventures Book Blog. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.