Saturday, May 1, 2010

Saturday Shorts



Saturday shorts is a weekly meme where I post a review on short stories and Indy based novels that I have either read or heard about. Since this has the potential to increase my to-read pile, i may sometimes only post the synopsis of new releases. I hope you enjoy!!!

I have always loved short stories and I think it’s a huge skill to be able to develop characters, a plot and a theme in such a short time and yet still make the story interesting. More so, i wanted to encourage people to read more indy books. I think some of the best stories are told by this genre.

Today’s review is an Indy novel called I Know Why the Dog Howls at the Moon by Tymber Dalton. You can find the author’s website by visiting www.tymberdalton.com .  This copy of the story was retrieved from Smashwords.com

Title: I know why the Dog Howls at the Moon
Author: Tymber Dalton
Genre: Paranormal/Fantasy
Pages: 16
Publication: Placida Publishers LLC – 2009

Synopsis


Charlene only wants peace for her and her young son. She wishes there was a way to get her ex-husband out her life for good. A free encounter with a carnival fortune teller might give her more than what she bargained for. 

Excerpt taken from placidapublishing.com

My Review 


This short story is a paranormal/fantasy take on happily ever after. For once I felt like the bad guy got what he deserved and a cliché ending wasn’t so bad after all. I think that Dalton has a great sense of imagination and overall she’s a good story teller. Her description leaves a very vivid image in the readers mind and that’s a tall order in a short story however with several other novels under her belt, I think she has mastered the art of a good story.

I loved the story because in a short space of time, it developed a sizeable plot that kept me wondering what would happen next. Charlene and Hank were the proverbial protagonists and antagonist, helping to frame the story along their failed relationship. I enjoyed getting to know the characters and I thoroughly enjoyed Christopher. I think his character made the story a little more realistic. Stories with morale are usually the ones that resonate with me the most and a moral was definitely evident in this story. Overall it was a  fun read and a welcome relief from all the novels I have been reading.



2 comments:

Lesli Richardson said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Lesli Richardson. (aka Tymber Dalton)

Bookventures said...

O.M.G thank you soo much for passing by and following!!!!!! I am really greatful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2011 Bookventures Book Blog. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.