Monday, May 10, 2010

Author Interview with Cynthia Roberts - Wind Warrior


I love historically based novels and when i stumbled upon this book, i was immediately attracted. Wind Warrior is a romance story about Leslie Michaels, a woman with a very special gift who falls in love with a Seneca War Chief. The story plunges readers into the intimate depths of a relationship while painting an insightful and intriguing portrait of Native Indian life in the 1800s.

In anticipation of the release of her first book, Bookventures interviewed Cynthia Roberts to find out more about the book and what future work she has in store for her readers. The book will be released on June 15th but if you head over to Goodreads before May 30th  you can win a First Reads copy.

Bookventures: Cynthia, thank you for taking the time out to answer these questions.  My readers will really appreciate it.

   1. Briefly tell us about your novel

Leslie Michaels is a visionary, and only those close to her know of her special gift and the visions that come when her mind and body surrender to sleep.  It is one particular vision that haunts her dreams she does not understand and inevitably changes her life dramatically.  She is forced to flee into the wilderness to escape a murderous trapper who is bent on claiming her for his own at all costs, and that means killing her father.  She finds herself lost, alone and frightened in unfamiliar territory, uncertain of where to go or how to survive on her own.  Fate has a way of righting the many wrongs that has brought nothing but tragedy into her life.  And that is when she encounters Winnokin, a handsome Seneca war chief who first came to her in the dreams that haunted her.  Not only does he prove to be her rescuer and protector, but he teaches her that tragedy does breed happiness and not just heartache and a passion to live and love deeply once again.

   2. What inspired you to write this story?

The first romance I ever read was a novel from Cassie Edward’s Savage series and instantly became hungry to read more.  I tracked down every one of those babies; let me tell you, until I read them all.  Every historical Indian romance I read from that point on was based on a Plains tribe.  I wanted to focus on a tribe indigenous to my area and decided to write a series based on the five tribes that make up the Iroquois League of Nations.

   3. Is this your first book?

Well, in a way yes.  When my marriage fell apart and everything with it, my writing became my therapy and I literally started three projects.  It was like turning on a faucet ...

   4. Did you have to do any research for this book?

Mega ... mega research sitting in the library at the New York State Museum.  I think it's so very important when writing an historical that you try and emulate as much of the folklore, traditions and the culture as possible.  It's not only educational and creates a sense of realism to the story.  Plus, you're being respectful of the culture.

   5. What has been your experience writing it?

It's been two-fold really.  We could learn so much from our Native American brothers and the reverent love and respect they have for everything that is natural and of this earth.  They knew how to live in balance with plants, animals and natural elements ... never taking more than what was needed to sustain their people and way of life. It bothered me to learn that their peace, sanctity and bonding of tribes as a confederation was never the same after they were forced to take sides during our American Revolution.  They came to our aid to obtain liberation and ended up loosing everything that had been theirs for centuries.

Secondly, when the whole process of getting published started, it was sooooo exciting.  It was like one of those first chapters in your life ... you know the ones ladies ... the first kiss, getting married, the first pregnancy, landing the perfect job etc.   There is nothing more gratifying than knowing that someone is going to escape into the world you created and will actually feel and experience an array of emotions from your written words.  It just doesn't get any better than that.

   6. How did you begin writing?

In the early 80's after my daughter Alyssa was born.  I was such an avid reader one day it was like a light bulb went off in my head and I thought, "Heck ... I can do this!"  So, I enrolled at my local community college for a series of creative writing classes and so the stories began.

   7. Do you have any favourite characters or scenes in the book?

Oh god ... absolutely everything is my favorite.  I mean, really!  Can you tell I'm just giddy with excitement about this project.  Until you receive some kind of feedback, all you have is belief in yourself and this burning desire in the pit of  your belly to get published.  And when it finally happens, it is sooo very emotional.

   8.  What has been some of the initial feedback about the novel?
It's official release is June 15th.  At this point I have no idea and the suspense is killing me.  Some dear friends and colleagues who couldn't wait went and purchased it from the Tate Publishing online store already and I was thrilled when they told me how emotionally compelling and entertaining it was.

   9. What can you tell us about any future novels that may be in the works?

You're probably gonna think me is crazy ... I'm 3 chapters into Book #3 of my Iroquois series, three-quarters of the way done on a mainstream romance sci-fi adventure entitled Keeper's Watch, at the tail end of finishing another mainstream romance mystery entitled Pawn For Malice and a romantic comedy screenplay Lookin' For Love.  I found a project I penned back in 1994 in first draft entitled Unchain My Heart that I'm hoping to give new life to as well.  This late in the game, I've got plenty of catching up to do.  But ... I can tell you one thing ... there's no stopping me now!

For more information about the author, check out her website and look out for my review of this book in June.

2 comments:

April said...

What a great interview!!! This sounds like such a great book. I am on my way to check it out further!!!

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

Thank you for this good interview.
Looks like a really good read!

Bill ;-)

Hope you'll check out my book giveaway:
http://drbillsbookbazaar.blogspot.com/2010/05/book-giveaway-dead-or-alive.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2011 Bookventures Book Blog. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.