Totally Random Thursdays is a weekly meme where i get to talk about anything that comes to mind. This week its all about Earth Day 2010
Today is the 40th anniversary of Earth Day. Earth Day is designed to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth's environment. The occasion was founded by U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in held on April 22, 1970. On this occasion, we get a chance to access the damage that has been done to our home thus far and find ways to improve it. Already we have had major climate changes resulting in devastating earthquakes and major hurricanes and storms.
Many communities celebrate Earth Week with an entire week of activities focused on environmental issues. So what can we do to make our environment healthy and safe?
Well while checking out earthday.org, i noticed that they had a lovely section on taking action. Here you can commit to a number of pledges such as:
If your not willing to commit then here are some smaller tasks that will make a big difference
- Save water by decreasing your shower time -- or rather take a bath, which uses less water than a shower.
- Recycle your junk mail, cell phones, paper products and plastic bags
- Opt for direct deposit, online banking, and paperless statements to reduce your paper usage
- Don’t purchase disposable water bottles, but rather use recyclable and refillable beverage containers that you can fill with filtered water
- Unplug all of your appliances when you leave the house to save energy
- If possible, take public transportation, walk or invest in a bicycle. Its a great way to stay in shape and an efficient way to get around
- Don’t use plastic storage containers, and definitely do not heat food within a plastic container in the microwave.
More importantly, do something good for our environment!!!!!!!