Saturday, March 6, 2010

Would you be interested in reading a History text review?

A member of my book club (who also happens to be my right hand gal) asked why I didn’t do a review on a history text book. To explain the context of the question; we both are history majors (she is currently doing her masters in the field) and we were both planning our reviews for the next few weeks. The trouble with reviewing a history text (well for me anyway) is that I could end up writing a book by the time am finished. There are so many things that I could highlight and critique with a text. Then with historical texts you have to look at things like the era in which the text was written, the author, his/her motive for writing, the subject of the text and so on and so forth. More importantly, few (very few) people enjoy history. Most people think that it’s boring and involves too much reading. If there is no audience for it, then whose going to stop and read the review?

Now historical novels are a whole different story.

4 comments:

lizzy J said...

It is worth reading many people do not like historical books I agree completely. I have found though that once a reader gets into it they become die hard historical lovers. The biggest interest seems to be with royalty, Tudors and Marie Antoinette are really big hits. I read and review nothing but historical fiction. It is a narrow category but I find that there is a very supportive community of HF (historical fiction) lovers. I think you should go for it. Robin Maxwell is my favorite by far.

Bookventures said...

hmmm, I've never heard of Maxwell but i'll do some research. There are others like us out there.. : )

Book pusher said...

I think it is a great idea, I am surprised that more people don't like history, maybe they just don't have the time, I used to read a lot of non fiction especially history but over the last year or two I have read hardly any. I think novels are just easier, quick relaxing reads. I am doing post grad study in library science and find non fiction reading is taken up by things that relate directly to that. I have Tom Holland's book Millenium on my TBR shelf and feel a bit frustrated that I have not found the time to get to that. I would enjoy reading reviews of history books which I may well read when I finally find the time. Another blogger I enjoy reading is Sari at The view from Sari's world and she reviews both fiction and non fiction including history. You should give it a try and see how people respond.

Bookventures said...

Thanks for your ideas. I'll definitely pay Sari a visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2011 Bookventures Book Blog. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.